Okay, here’s the deal: I’m one of five Guests of Honor at Linucon October 8th through 10th in Austin, TX. One of the volunteer slots still open is “GoH Liason for Howard Tayler.”
We’re looking for local volunteers. We have a couple of attendees already available for this position, but both of them have lots of other things to do, and neither of them are locals. They’re also both good friends of mine, and won’t be put out one bit if they don’t get picked for this job. In fact, we’ll probably be more likely to REMAIN good friends if they don’t get picked for this job. Especially Chalain, who is twice the genius I am, and secretly despises me for my fame and wealth.
(note: there is no actual wealth, and there’s little enough fame to speak of)
Here are the requirements:
1) You need to be registered for the Con, and sign up as a volunteer with Lisa.
2) I’m going to be really, really, REALLY busy with panels, business meetings for Schlock, business meetings for Novell, drawing stuff for fans, etc. You need to have the kind of administrative skills to get me from place to place without panicking.
3) You need to be an Austin local, preferably with a car, so that if I hand you $20 and send you off in search of sushi, or maybe geisha girls, you’ll stand at least even odds of succeeding in your quest.
4) I’m kidding about the geisha girls
5) You need to be comfortable using a walkie-talkie.
6) You should not suck up to me, brown-nose, or otherwise employ subservient obsequiety. It’s okay if you’re in awe of my work, and it’s okay if you’re not. Just don’t drool, or spit. We’ll both act like professionals, and I’ll treat you like a friend. Honest. That’s the kind of guy I am.
The only compensation I’m aware of is that you’ll get your Con registration fee comped or refunded. You’ll likely need to be staying at the hotel, and I doubt that can be comped. This really is a hard-core VOLUNTEER position. I’m not sure why anybody would want it. I will see to it that you get original, custom artwork in a timely manner (unlike the several people to whom I STILL owe originals.)
If you’ve read this far and are still interested, email me a short resume/bio, and tell me why you think you’d be good at this.
Gee, I’ve left comments on down below. I have no idea what you people are going to talk about in regard to this post, but feel free to talk about it.