I’m in Indianapolis for GenCon Indy this week. You can find me at Booth 1749 with Jim Zub, Sandra Tayler, and our outstanding booth crew: Darrin, Robin, and Mike.
I don’t have any panel scheduling this year, which is kind of awesome for me. Also, it’s awesome for YOU, because you’re more likely to be able to find me in the exhibit hall¹.
I’m bringing my markers this year, along with about 100 sketch cards. Do you want a 100% original piece of artwork? Maybe have me do a Schlock-ish version of your Shadowrun character? NO PROBLEM. Just bring money².
Jim and I will have all kinds of merchandise: Skullkickers troves, Schlock Mercenary boxed sets, Wayward books, Planet Mercenary RPG worldbooks, dice, and cards, and we’ll have just a few pre-release copies of the brand new Wayward board game.
We’ll both be at GenCon Indy through the end of the show on Sunday, but don’t wait until then to find us. We run out of stuff every year.
¹ I do sometimes take breaks. If you follow me on Twitter you’ll be able to see whether or not I’ve scheduled myself for one.
² I’m terrible about pricing these things. Let’s just say $20, because if I say less than that my booth captain Darrin AND my project manager Sandra will be cross with me. But as always, sketches in the backs of Schlock books are free.
I just returned from GenCon Indy, which I quite enjoyed, but which exhausted me. Next week I head to San Jose for WorldCon 76, for which I must be well-rested.
It needs to be a quiet week here. I’ll post my WorldCon schedule prior to the event, but beyond that I shouldn’t expect much in the way of blog updates. Such energy as I have will be spent making comics…
I’ll be at GenCon Indy this week. I’m sharing space with Jim Zub (Skullkickers, Avengers: No Surrender, Wayward) at booth 1649 in the exhibit hall. It’s a huge place, so here’s a map:
We’ll have loads of merchandise, including Planet Mercenary books, Seventy Maxims books, and of course Schlock Mercenary books, including the latest volume, Random Access Memorabilia.
I’ll also have a portfolio containing close to a hundred pieces of original Munchkin: Starfinder artwork, some of which will be available for purchase.
(We won’t have copies of the game, but if you bring your copy to the booth I can deface it.)
And speaking of Munchkin: Starfinder, I’ll be playing the game at the Worldbuilders charity event on Friday evening, and I’ll be hanging out in the Munchkin Tavern on Saturday.
Here’s my full schedule of events OUTSIDE booth 1649.
- 10:00am, Austin (Downtown Marriott, 2nd floor)—Crafting Humor for the Page (a solo presentation in which I unpack my joke-refinement toolbox for you, and explain how this stuff works)
- 10:00am, Ballroom (Downtown Marriott, 2nd floor)—Writing Excuses recording sessions (including one with James S.A. Corey of THE EXPANSE)
- 4:00pm, Atlanta (Downtown Marriott, 2nd floor)—Urban Fantasy, Why So Serious? (I’m moderating a panel discussion)
- 6:00pm, Rooms 9 & 10 (J.W Marriott Ballroom)—Worldbuilders Party
- 12:00pm, Atlanta (Downtown Marriott, 2nd floor)—AMA (“Ask Me Anything”) with Howard and Sandra (come and ask us anything!)
- 7:00pm, Munchkin Tavern (Tavern on South, 423 W. South Street) — Signing and sketching and stuff
If you catch up with me at the booth, you may get to watch me draw Schlock Mercenary comics. I’m bringing a week of scripts with me (the week of August 26th through September 1st,) because this is how I go for eighteen years without failing to update.
I’m at GenCon Indy this week!
You can find me at Booth #1549 with Sandra Tayler, Jim Zub, and Tracy Hickman.
Planet Mercenary at GenCon!
We’ve got stacks of Planet Mercenary materials*, including the core book, the Game Chief’s screen, the Mayhem Deck, sets of RiPP tokens and dice, and Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries.
We’ll also have the Game Chief’s Handbrain game screen*, a high-quality ABS plastic product that you simply must come and see.
Panels Where You Can Find Me Talking
Sounds enticing, yes? Here’s my panel schedule:
- 6pm, Congress 1 — Reading (Howard reads his writing to you)
- 7pm, Capital 1 — How to Find Your Voice (panel discussion)
- 6pm, Chamber — Writing Excuses records live
- 12pm – 2pm, ICC Ballroom Main Stage — THE GAMERS: LIVE – ATTACK OF THE MUTANTS FROM PLANET X (I don’t actually know what I’m doing on stage, but I’m going to be doing my best at it.)
- 3pm, Capital 1 — Writers Cage Fight
(*Note: If you’re a Planet Mercenary backer and/or a Handbrain backer, your merchandise is shipping now, so we can’t do convention pickups for you.)