This morning was spent verifying my existing backups and creating new ones. Long story short: I dodged a bullet.
My Retrospect Backup probably would have worked for a volume restore (volume data in the database looked up-to-date), but file-level backups weren’t showing anything newer than late 2005. Screw THAT. I want my files backed up as files, thankyouverymuch.
So… I purged some high-density clutter on the hard drive to free space up, then defragged the hard drive to accelerate things. Then I wiped the Retrospect backup and uninstalled Retrospect Express. I then manually copied my data from C: to F: — there’s about 90gb of the stuff. 30 gigs is music, and another 32 gigs is Schlock-specific files.
With that complete I grabbed my layered Photoshop files — “source code” if you will — for all the Schlock books and backed those up to a series of DVDs. Thanks for that link, johnridley! I decided to go with DVD+R, rather than the stack of 40 -R discs I’ve got kicking around. Those -R discs are destined to have Doctor Who episodes burned onto them by a friend.
The crisis has been averted, but I’ll be needing serious hard-disk space in the next six months. Fortunately, I now have time to relax and plan for it, rather than panicking.
(I did all my panicking last night.)