You know, I really, really, really hate the down-swings I suffer through. They run something like this:
1) I don’t feel like working.
2) I try to work, and STILL can’t get much done.
3) I feel guilty about getting nothing done.
4) Now I can’t play, because I have guilt preventing me from enjoying it.
5) The day ends, and I hope that I’ll wake up in better spirits tomorrow.
Usually on a day when I’ve got huge quantities of work to do and that work is DIRECTLY CONNECTED to money, I have no problem getting moving. Today should have been a joyous celebration of “doing what I love.” Instead I moped, slept, inked a few panels, colored a little, and basically followed the numbered dance steps above.
Fortunately for you guys, Sandra and Kiki began laying out work for me in my office. I can begin sketch edition work in earnest tomorrow (as soon as I finish coloring a week or two of comics. Yes, Sunday’s strip is only partly colored right now. Ideally, tomorrow I will color a week of strips and then knock back about 200 sketch editions. If there’s any hand left, I’ll ink a week of strips.
Believe it or not, I LIKE 12-hour days. And on the days when I don’t like them, I WANT to like them. All I can figure is that on days like today (and yesterday, truth be told) something is wrong with my brain.